A short story about the Colliers Arms
Kings Moss village
Kings Moss comes from the time when Lord Derby dedicated the health(the moss) to Charles II, who reigned until 1685. The Colliers owes its name and its existence to the Hillside Colliery c1850. Adjacent to the pub at that time was the Kings Moss and Ormskirk Pop Factory. During more recent excavations for the car park, many pop bottles were uncovered. The Pub was the focal point for all social and welfare activities, being the cash centre for paying the miners wages
Perhaps because of the insular nature of Kings Moss and its direct association with mining, plain speaking & jolity are very much in evidence here. In the past, there has been a succession of popular Landlords, who have created a welcoming and comfortable atmosphere.
We hope to carry on the good work in the future. Read More